Pages

Thursday, March 15, 2012

Buttoned Up

I was sorting through my sewing drawer today and came across my button tin.  As I'm sure other vintage clothing lovers have experienced, I seem to always end up with items missing one or two buttons.  This usually means that all the buttons need replacing and I can never seem to find the right ones at the right time.  Out of necessity I have over the years begun picking up vintage buttons that I like when I stumble upon them.  I have even purchased clothing that is to far gone to save just for the buttons.  I'll share with you some of the buttons I am especially drawn to.


I really love vintage rhinestone buttons, which for some reason I find especially difficult to find.  The four at the bottom left are intended for one of my coats (which was missing one button, of course) and have yet to be attached.


Perhaps my favorite of all vintage buttons are extruded celluloid ones from the 1940's.  I love that these 6 survived on their original card!  I don't have the heart to use them and they can be particularly fragile I have heard so maybe some day they will find a home with a button collector.


These vintage red and white sailor buttons are unbelievably adorable.  Again on their original card, just missing one button.  How cute would they look on a navy cotton dress!

A word to the wise (which I found out first hand) be careful when dry cleaning garments with vintage buttons.  I had a button melt down when I picked up a novelty print blouse with red plastic melted all over it.  I now remove the buttons before having items cleaned, it's a little extra work but it saves me the worry and problems in the long run. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment